On 03/10/16 09:23, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> highway=footway or path should really mean "it's just a physical path",
> we shouldn't really be assuming things about access. Then add explicit
> access tags if we know it's permissive (or designation=public_footpath
> if it's known to be a RoW).

I'm with you on that Nick ...

Farm tracks around here are very useful reference points on the ground
so should be visible on a map as well but unless there are signs up
restricting access it is often difficult to know. One well surfaced road
has now 'grown' a 'private - no access' sign, but one would not remove
it from the map, only add the restriction. The ramblers are probably the
best for pushing the boundaries on just what are RoW and border line
cases ;) But even on the ground, access rights are often not obvious.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL