I really don't have to justify how we in Nottingham have chosen to tag
things, or what we map. This has evolved as a local consensus and works
fine for us.

However, we have found retaining older information invaluable for numerous
purposes related to maintaining up-to-date data within OSM. In particular
those places whose occupants tend to be ephemeral, or which change names
frequently (marginal retail locations, nightclubs & some takeaways) can
often be linked to open data if and only if one knows one of the previous
names.

Additionally, locals will often refer to places/shops etc. by former
long-standing names. A good example of this is a restaurant who's name
escapes me, but if I call it The Priory, locals will know exactly where I
mean. In its previous guise as a Toby Carvery it was generally also known
by this name.

Lastly photographs get outdated and the ability to accurately locate a
photo can often be assisted if former business names are available for
cross-checking. This applies obviously to Mapillary & OpenStreetCam, but
also Geograph and my own personal photos which, for OSM purposes go back to
2009.

Jerry