Hi Beth,

Roles apply to the members of relation (which are almost always ways), not
the relation itself, if that helps.

In theory a route such as this should be mapped as a parent route_master
relation with all variations of that route as child relations. In practice
this is somewhat rare:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:route_master

I assume you're looking at https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/12145 ?

Regards,