AFAIK SplashMaps UK custom maps are now entirely based on OS data, rather
than the original products which used OS OpenData and OSM. IIRC the
original SplashMaps were 1:40k scale, but now they use Explorer maps at
1:25k.

I think OSGB have now out-sourced their entire 'leisure' map printing
operation (this was always an erroneous title, plenty of professionals -
ecologists, land agents, council officers - use them on a daily basis).

I don't know if OSGB have changed their cartography much since the '90s
(probably not v. much for Landranger), but dont be surprised to see changes
akin to those introduced by SwissTopo.

Personally, and, still a good reason to support OSM, I'd like maps at
different scales. The Outdoor Leisure Explorers for Snowdonia are
notoriously and uselessly large for practical use on the hills, but 1:25k
often is a little too large a scale for gaining a quick overview of an
area, and 1:50k often miss detail which is important for navigation.
However, we still lack easy to use render chains designed for print.

Jerry