Dear Mappers.,

Writing to you to consult on the bicycle lane tagging - to work out if it's
a tagging error or my misinterpretation of the rules
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway>.

I am working on my bicycle journey planner (http://zikes.website) and last
week i used it to guide me whilst i rolled my wheels home from Liverpool
Street. I noted it sent me up the wrong way on a one-way Lever Street
<https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5276523,-0.0925868,3a,75y,265.97h,55.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUuuahShWpAONCKSdPgFaPw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1>
.

Here's <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/166585295> the current tagging of
Lever Street and specifically for bicycles:
    <tag k="lcn" v="yes"/>
    <tag k="oneway" v="yes"/>
    <tag k="highway" v="secondary"/>
    <tag k="cycleway:right" v="opposite_lane"/>
    <tag k="cyclestreets_id" v="47560"/>
    <tag k="cycleway:oneside" v="lane"/>
    <tag k="cycleway:oneside:width" v="1.25"/>
So it is a one street tagged with *cycleway:right=opposite_lane* and the
rules state respectively:
*(1) Consider using the cycleway:left=lane and / or cycleway:right=lane
tags instead for a cycle lane which is on the left and / or right side,
relative to the direction in which the way was drawn in the editor, as this
describes on which side the cycle lane is. It should then be assumed that
cycle traffic is allowed to flow in the customary direction for traffic on
that side of the road.*
*(2) Use cycleway=opposite_lane for a contraflow cycle lane, that is, a
cycle lane travelling in the opposite direction to other traffic on a
oneway=yes road. Consider using the cycleway:left=opposite_lane
or cycleway:right=opposite_lane tags instead, as this describes on which
side the contraflow lane is.*

The rules clearly state that *opposite_lane* is for tagging contraflow
lanes and define contraflow to apply exclusively to oneway streets.

The cycleway on Lever Street is not a contraflow lane - therefore it cannot
(as it is) be tagged with cycleway:right=opposite_lane. It cannot be tagged
with cycleway:right=lane because it does not allow traffic to flow in the
customary direction of traffic on that side of the road. Unless, because it
is a oneway street, we agree that both sides allow traffic in the same
direction and thus it would be correct to tag it with cycleway:right=lane.

I could settle on the above interpretation and thus the conclussion that
Lever Street is badly tagged and that it should have been tagged with
cycleway:right=lane. Except some people get it right sometimes
<https://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=18&lat=51.52758&lon=-0.09215&layers=B0000>
.

And I can see how using *opposite_lane* is a double-negation attempt at
tagging it correctly, but it stands in the direct conflict with the
definition of *opposite_lane *(applying to contraflow lanes exclusively).

So either

   1. There is an unwritten consensus that using cycleway:right/left=lane
   on a oneway street is to solely convey the side of the street the lane
   resides on and otherwise assume it flows in agreement with the oneway
   street. In which case I shall go and fix Lever Street and make an
edit to the
   rules <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway> to make this
   consensus written.
   2. Lever Street is tagged correctly (afterall https://www.
   opencyclemap.org/ got it right) and I just can't wrap my head around
   understanding the rules.

with kind regards