On 27 July 2017 07:37:43 BST, Ilya Zverev <i...@zverev.info> wrote:
>On SotM 2016 8 of 45 talks (18%) were given by women. Srravya C in her
>talk at that SotM shows that only 7% posts in talk@ were posted by
>few good ideas about increasing the participation of women, by the way:
>
>http://2016.stateofthemap.org/2016/is-she-a-part-of-your-community/

That was an interesting talk, I did have a chat with her afterwards and did
learn some interesting stuff.

I did learn a lot, but did see it as more cultural than sexism in OSM. In some
parts of the world there is, for example a lack of female toilets and she did
mention that she will avoid toilets not explicitly mapped as female. This level
of mapping had never occurred to me as a European as the norm is male and
female toilets are together so had never seen the need to add that level of
detail. As part of the talk she did use Germany as an example of how few female
toilets are mapped, but as with the UK it is not something that would be mapped
explicitly unless they were separated for some reason.

I also learned that in India men and women are separated when voting, that is
one cultural difference that would never have occurred to me.

She did also mention that many of the names used it was impossible to determine
gender. In informal setting such as osm there is a tendency to use nicknames
and the more general shortening of names to gender neutral shortforms.

Phil (trigpoint)