On 09/08/17 23:40, Miguel Sevilla-Callejo wrote:
> So I would like to translate here why I'm using a neutral approach for
> the bilingual tagging in Wales: mainly because I'm following the wiki.

This is still a bit of a woolly area, but name= should only contain the
information that is actually DISPLAYED locally. So if the street sign
has only welsh or only english that is what appears in 'name'. This may
also result in different tags on the same object where signage has
different spellings or ordering, but someone looking for 'Fford-y-Mor
Terrace Road' will have a good chance of seeing that on a sign. If the
signs only have 'Fford-y-Mor' then one knows not to look for 'Terrace
Road' ... In countries where different alphabets are used reading the
signs can be challenging ;)

This is then supported by name:en and name:cy along with additional
name:* translations where people feel the need to generate them.
Rendering a 'translated' map is then a matter of selecting the available
name elements in the right order with 'name' being the final fallback,
but 'Terrace Road' may be preferable for some translations even when the
displayed name is only 'Fford-y-Mor' ... It depends just what the DATA
is actually being used for?

Making the DATA easy to use is the key element here not any particular
rendering approach, but this has been messed up somewhat with there not
being a consistent way to handle the evolution of the data. Many parts
of Wales have been 'improving' the prominence of Welsh so what was only
displayed in English now has the official Welsh signage as well. Using
'old_name' may be a way to record some of the changes, but we do need a
much better defined way of handling the large amount of historic name
changes that are currently 'lost' in the change logs! OHM needs to be
feed automatically with data that the general consensus deems not
appropriate to retain in OSM and the evolution of things like names are
simply part of that.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL