Not a member of the London OSM community, but...

Also, do you think that there might also be an effect from "visiting"
OSM contributors to an area?

I used to regularly walk to/from occasional meetings with companies in
London and map items on the way -- so  I'm guessing (!) that there might
be a number of OSM users passing through the City of London (more than
say "Greater London") -- each adding their favourite items -- but maybe
only infrequently, and without wanting to "disturb" items that they're
less familiar with / less concerned about. Plus, it's much easier to add
items, than it is to remove/modify/update them, especially in a
"cluttered" area.

Cheers,
Neil