What I have done in such situations is:

   - Remove designation tags from the actually used paths. Access with
   foot=yes is
   - Add the formal line of the path with the designation tag and access
   tags, but without highway tags.

Specific examples I've mapped in the past couple of years:

   - Laxton Bridleway 2 <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/293561685>. This
   is clearly signed from the road, but the line across crops/ploughed field
   is never used, probably because there is a ditch or drain at the road end.
   Andy (SomeoneElse) has also surveyed this path from the current path in use
   which skirts the edge of the wood.
   - Scalford Footpath E27 <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/466045433>.
   There is a set-aside strip around the field and this is used in lieu of the
   official line.
   - Scalford Footpath  F22 <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/465782029>.
   The official line of this path is built over. There are no traces of the
   path at it's northern end, but it obviously should start from a stile which
   is overgrown by a couple of feet of hawthorn. When I enquired about this
   path, the council wrote back "Unfortunately the farm buildings obstructing
   the Footpath have been there for many years.  This is obviously not
   something the County Council condones but fortunately Footpaths F24 and F22
   do provide alternative access and therefore the problems with F23 take a
   low priority."
   - Stanley Footpath 13 & Dale Abbey Footpaths 26 & 28
   <http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/52.95054/-1.37437&layers=D> . Two
   fields with a couple of examples of official lines crossing the field
   diagonally and being replaced on the ground by paths closer to the edges of
   the field (and probably reflecting better the actual desire lines of
   regular walkers).

In most cases the tagging is fairly ad hoc to meet the situation that I
encounter. As I am seeing more examples I am adding more information in the
form of additional tags, and in the process being more consistent. In
general I only add the official lines when there is adequate information on
the ground to identify them. For instance there are no traces of Trowell FP
16 on the ground, so I have not added anything to OSM
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/52.9584/-1.2531>.

There is a thread from earlier this year discussing a similar issue.

Regards,

Jerry

PS. Apologies for accidentally sending a near-blank message