Hi,
Yes, I was talking about in OSM, so was reluctant to go looking up the RM
version. When I used to sell stuff I did check with the RM website before
sending stuff out.  In my local area I know which postcodes are for which
post town so I can correct without referring to the RM.
For delivery, yes, only the postcode and house number are strictly needed
(with a few exceptions where there is both a main and subsidiary street).
The remainder is basically a backup. I don't really see that that ought to
prevent us mapping full address data in OSM.
Adam