Oh Dear.
I've always been hesitant to call out specific contributors by name, but user 'mentor' has been a repeated thorn in my side whenever he's (male?) 'contributed' in my locale. Those edits can, at best, be described 'assumptive' (either that, or he's widely travelled within the UK, whilst blindfolded).

For this specific example: From aerial images, I would tag the whole area, including rear patio area/car parking as amenity=pub, name=* etc & combine the full extent of the building as building=pub. Both relations appear unnecessary.

Additionally the residential area could be tweaked around the shops/pub & landuse=retail be added.

Your 2nd point:
Coincidentally I've just noticed that it only returns the first option (swap nodes with ways to see). I'm unclear if it's by design or a recent update error. I'd be interested to know the answer.

Try:

{{geocodeArea: Brighton and Hove}}->.searchArea;
(
node["amenity"="pub"](area.searchArea);
way["amenity"="pub"](area.searchArea);
relation["amenity"="pub"](area.searchArea);
);
(._;>;);
out body;

DaveF