> I wrote up part 1 of my experience with OSM Conflator and the Community
> Validation tool. This first part focuses on OSM Conflator explaining what it
> does and the main components of it.
>
> http://www.mappa-mercia.org/2018/01/osm-conflator.html

Thank you Rob, I enjoyed reading your post. I hope it drives more people to do
their POI imports with the Conflator.

I have a single comment about "it assumes the third party data is correct and
more up to date than any OSM data it is replacing". The third party data does
indeed need to be correct, otherwise we should not import it into OSM. But in
the profile "master_tags" property you choose a range of attributes that
override these mapped by OSM members. For example, if you consider postcodes in
OSM better than in the third party data, you don't add the "addr:postcode" to
that list.

Also, nodes and areas are almost never moved, never for the initial import.
Locations from OSM are considered to be the most precise. Of course, with the
Community Validation tool mappers can adjust some locations to match these from
a third party dataset.

Ilya