At the risk of being pedantic, but would a "network" tag, similar to bus routes, not be more appropriate?

Here in Sweden, the post office system is now Post Nord, network=Post Nord, but post offices are frequently inside and operated by supermarkets, e.g. operator=ICA. These outlets often handle DHL and other services that might also be considered as postal networks, network=Post Nord;DHL

Mike

On 2018-05-03 11:15, Brian Prangle wrote:
Hi Robert

If an operator tag is added to post_office tags then your comparison tool would be OK

Regards

Brian

On 3 May 2018 at 10:08, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) <robert.whittaker+...@gmail.com <mailto:robert.whittaker+...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 2 May 2018 at 19:08, David Woolley <for...@david-woolley.me.uk
    <mailto:for...@david-woolley.me.uk>> wrote:
    > On 02/05/18 18:52, ael wrote:
    >>
    >> I am confused:-)  How should a Royal mail local delivery office be
    >> tagged? It seems that it is not amenity=post_office. I notice that
    >> I have used post_depot once some time ago, but that doesn't
    seem to be
    >> in the wiki (or in the presets for josm). Yet I am sure that I
    got it
    >> from somewhere. Not that it seems very natural.
    >
    > I'm fairly sure this came up a couple of months ago and the
    answer was
    > amenity=post_depot; operator=Royal Mail.  It's not, in
    principle, different
    > from Hermes or TNT.

    That's certainly what I'd use. I think there's a good case for tagging
    customer-facing shop-like outlets of courier firms as
    amenity=post_office since they're places from which you can send
    stuff. But for the large warehouse-style sorting/distribution centres
    I think something else is needed. amenity=post_depot seems a good
    choice to me. It has over 400 uses worldwide, of which over 300 are in
    the UK.

    The legitimate use of amenity=post_office for non-Post Office Ltd
    branches creates a slight issue for my comparison tool. I've got some
    heuristics to account for some sets of objects based on name,
    operator, and brand tagging. See:
    http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postoffice/osm-unmatched.html#non-pol
    <http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postoffice/osm-unmatched.html#non-pol>

    Robert.