From: Nick Whitelegg <nick.whitel...@solent.ac.uk>
Sent: 10 June 2018 14:05:36
To: Rob Nickerson; Talk-GB; Adam Snape
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] MapThePaths - new site focusing on OSM UK footpath
mapping

Hello Rob and Adam,

Glad you find it useful!

To answer your points:

Firstly a higher zoom level should be easily possible - the tiles are only
stored on the server at one zoom level (insufficient disc space to deal with
more) but higher zoom level tiles could easily be dynamically generated on the
server on demand with PHP.

I don't have a combined file of all the council data, though I think I could
probably produce one if necessary. However I have a web API to retrieve council
(and OSM) data via bounding box:

www.mapthepaths.org.uk/row.php?bbox=west,south,east,north&layer=L<http://www.mapthepaths.org.uk/row.php?bbox=west,south,east,north&layer=L>

(where L is either osm or council)

Note that requesting a very large bounding box is likely to cause server
problems  - this is untested.

I could add the 1900 data, yes.

I'll look into the excluded unitary authorities - yes I would have skipped over
Bradford and Blackburn as they sounded very urban! Some UAs are not available
on rowmaps - Conwy springs to mind.

In terms of the editing functionality (when implemented), I won't allow users
to delete any existing tags. It will be more a case of a very simplistic
interface allowing users to add designation and prow_ref tags where these are
not present.

Rob - yes I saw that email. I will try and get along if I can, it would be
great to get involved.

I'll post an update once I've implemented your suggestions.

Nick