On 2018-08-26 21:17, David Woolley wrote:

> It looks to me as though boundaries can be defined recursively, so Hampshire,
> rather than its bounding ways, ought to to be the object referenced in the
> bigger entities.

This wouldn't work in the case of civil parishes as components of
districts and UA's though. You cannot define a district as the union of
the parishes. There are unparished areas, detached parts and "lands
common" which complicate the model. However I believe every point in the
UK is within some district/UA, and every district is within a county,
giving 100% coverage at that level.