The last time I checked NI was still in a union with the UK and therefore
suggesting that NI OSMers form a separate discussion  is very insensitive.
As the community there is very upset and has not agreed to this change,
having demonstrated very specific needs and separate treatment of these
roads I suggest at the very least that the change is reverted for NI. Can I
also suggest that all future mechanical edits that affect the WHOLE UK
(including NI) are discussed beforehand as required by  OSM policy
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct>
before being unilaterally applied so that we can avoid situations like this

Brian Prangle