Op do 20 sep. 2018 om 16:31 schreef Mark Goodge <m...@good-stuff.co.uk>:

> On 20/09/2018 13:46, Martin Wynne wrote:
> > On 20/09/2018 13:12, Dave F wrote:
> >> See the OSM Welcome page.
> >
> > Thanks. The wording there is:
> >
> > "OpenStreetMap is a place for mapping things that are both real and
> > current."
> >
> > Unfortunately it doesn't define "real" or "current".
>
> No, it leaves those to the ordinary, everyday meanings of the words.
>
> > What is a "real" bus stop? Does it need a physical marker post or
> > shelter? Or is it a bus stop if it's just a place listed in the
> > timetable? Or even just a place where buses often stop on request?
> >
> > What is a "current" footpath? If I mapped it 5 years ago, how often do I
> > have to go back and check that it is still there? If it's a public
> > footpath crossing a field the farmer is allowed 14 days to re-instate it
> > after ploughing the field. Is it still a "real" footpath for those 14
> > days? What if I re-visit it on the wrong day?
>
> There are, obviously, edge cases where a decision has to be made on the
> particular circumstances. Trying to define things too tightly creates
> unwanted inconsistencies.
>
> However, historic administrative boundaries, by definition, are not
> current. They're not an edge case. They are completely outside the
> realms of what is current.

Your "by definition" seems to be about "historical", not "historic" (a
distinction which already came up somewhere else in this thread).
Historical things are in the past; historic things were important in
the past, and might or might not still exist. I'm sure that seems
pedantic and I'm sorry, but it seems almost to be the crux of the
matter.

Best
Dan