The ODI have called on the government to pressure Google, Uber, Apple into
releaseing "mapping data"
https://theodi.org/article/we-call-on-the-government-to-work-with-google-apple-and-uber-to-publish-more-map-data-and-support-the-uks-emerging-technologies/

This got a fair amount of media attention last week in the Financial Times
and other places.

My reaction was a bit confused...

Mapping data = location of things? Don't need it, as Sir Tim Bernes-Lee
(ODI co-founder) already sings the praises of OpenStreetMap. Open data at
Ordnance Survey is also getting better (I thought we/ODI we focusing on
improving that, we all know govt could do better).

Mapping data = user data, like current traffic locations or insights into
journeys people take? This would be amazing to get. But the companies won't
give it away if you ask nicely, it's potentially their most valuable asset
besides giving away the actual users. The govt can't control that, unless
it was part of an existing agreement (i.e. bike share schemes, or taxis).

The article/press release disappoints me, it feels like a waste of media
attention. It possibly even dilutes the other messages of the ODI and it's
founders.

What do the rest of you think?

--
Gregory Marler