On 07/03/2019 09:47, Jon Spriggs wrote:

Near where I am are some mapped businesses properties which have closed, primarily shops, but also a couple of restaurants.

There is more than one common way of doing this.

Is the building exclusively used by the business? If not, I would map the business as a point, or as a polygon covering the plan view area occupied by the business, and not tag the building with business details.

a) A building holds a functioning business (that isn't a shop or restaurant
The appropriate tagging for the functioning business, e.g. office=*

b) A building holds a functioning shop

shop=yes

c) A building holds a functioning restaurant

amenity=restaurant

d) A building is a former business property (ceased trading/closed/moved) with no new business taking it's spot

shop=vacant

or

disused:shop=<old shop type>
disused:amenity=restaurant

As a side note, I've been using Street Complete on Android. Is it worth asking the Street Complete developers to add information about businesses to their collection data, if they aren't already?

I've never heard of that, so I've no idea what the developer's objectives were. I'm not aware of any Android tool that I would recommend to someone who was not experienced with one of the big three PC editors.