Thanks to all for the helpful responses.
I have looked (again) at the OSM Tags for Routing at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions#United_Kingdomfrom
 which it is clear that foot=yes (for example) is implied by highway=cycleway.
However, Andy's question (if I understand it correctly) set me wondering
whether there is any need to / benefit from distinguishing between foot=yes and
foot=designated, etc.
MK council, in their public mapping, imply that Redways are NOT (generally /
universally) PROW.  However, they DO seem to be "designated" for foot and cycle
(and wheelchairs etc.), so perhaps they should be tagged; bicycle=designated;
foot=designated,etc.,which highway=cycleway does not imply.
Also, at the end of my original post, I asked:
"NamingI am not aware of any Redways that have unique names (someone will
probably correct me on this), but I see several on OSM tagged with
“name=Redway”.  Whilst I can see the attraction of doing this, I suspect that
would not be considered good practice.  Should I delete that name, whenever I
see it? "
Nobody seems to have commented on that yet (perhaps it got lost somewhere).
Any views?
Regards,

Peter

    On Thursday, 21 March 2019, 13:54:20 GMT, Andy Townsend <ajt1...@gmail.com>
wrote:

 On 21/03/2019 13:35, Ed Loach wrote:
> How tagging changes over time...
>
> RichardF wrote:
>> highway=cycleway, segregated=no achieves all that in two tags
>> rather than
>> seven. :)
> I remember
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Milton_Keynes_Mapping_Party_2009
> where it looks like we (or at least I) only used highway=cycleway, e.g.
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/34669428/history

If they have some legal status beyond being "mere shared cycleways"
would some sort of designation tag also make sense here?  Currently
that's used for legal designations such as public footpaths, public
bridleways (and also I think core paths in Scotland).

Best Regards,

Andy