Hi Martin, Hi all,

-- Second attempt to send this mail, this time with attachments hosted on
cloud (feel free to copy to OSM wiki)

Good to see the TfL project moving forward. As background for those that
were not aware, Transport for London first approached the OpenStreetMap
United Kingdom community interest company towards the end of 2018. We met
them twice and helped them to scope out the project that Martin has now
picked up via the OSM UK Talent Directory [1].

I realise in my email to this list in March I promised some more background
(beyond what had gone into the board meeting minutes, here and on Loomio).
I'm not sure I delivered on that promise - March and April is a blur in my
memory as work was non-stop.

I think the easiest way to rectify that is to share the text from the
tender document (see [2]). I also attach the slides from the second meeting
we had with TfL.

One key extract from that document relates to the desire to investigate how
best to integrate this data into OSM. As noted although it is possible to
add the CID data to OpenStreetMap using the standard editing tools alone,
this was identified as a potentially undesirable solution (to be explored
as part of this project) due to the long time it would take and the
difficulty of ensuring all data is added. I for one look forward to seeing
what Martin discovers as part of the project. I have a small bit of
experience using Ilya's conflation tool, but the earlier Potlatch2 merge
tool (used on England cycle data) was before I joined OSM. Keen to find out
what the current best practice is.

The other key extract is related to how the data was collected:

   - The first phase of the project involved the surveying of greater
   London that was split into 25 data packages, 13 in Inner and 12 in Outer
   London. A total of 23,728 km of public highways was surveyed as part of
   this project. More than 30 surveyors have been on site 7 days a week to
   record all cycling infrastructure currently in place and over 477,000 asset
   photographs were captured.
   - 203,900 points and 34,931 individual lines were captured. The linear
   features cover a total distance of 2,088km (1 1⁄2 times the length of
   Britain).
   - Two photographs were captured of every asset.
   - Checking and correction has been undertaken to ensure that the quality
   of the data met the 95% thresholds agreed with TfL.

The approach of ground survey data collection, along with the photographs,
is essentially the same as we do. I think this has helped to ensure that
the data collected is of high quality and accuracy (unlike some other open
data we have seen in the past which may have been poorly digitised from
within the office).

It would be great if we can all take a moment to look at the data, consider
the options for getting it in to OSM, and share feedback here for Martin to
capture within the project :-)

P.S. Whilst this one is London based, the learning from it is valuable to
OSM UK as it ticks of some of our aims (increasing the amount of quality
data in OSM and promoting the release of open data). What we learn here can
be applied to projects as and when then come up throughout the UK, IoM and
CI.

Thank you,
*Rob*

[1] https://osmuk.org/join-our-talent-directory/