Thanks Jerry, I had forgotten that NI comes under Ireland ;-)

I will have a browse through the talk-ie archives and see if I can pick
it up there.

Colin

On 2019-08-20 22:15, SK53 wrote:

> This query would actually be better directed at talk-ie as the Irish OSM
> local chapter have been having discussions with OSNI (and OSI).
>
> However, I think it's safe to say that the relevant licence is not (yet)
> compatible with OSM: I did briefly discuss this point with one of the Open
> Data NI people who organised OpenData Camp #5 in Belfast, and she was
> certainly of the view that OSNI data (or any LPS data) was not very open.
> Many of these datasets would be very useful, for instance there is a point
> data set of streetnames (e.g., when the name of this bit [1] of street was
> being questioned, or just to do streetnames which are perhaps 10% completed).
>
> It is for this reason why there are no local authority boundaries in NI.
> However, at some point I used FHRS data to produce concave hulls which would
> be a first approximation (and no worse than things like the Limerick boundary
> 3-4 years ago). Also KDDA has some open data for the old Fermanagh district
> (on umap here [2]) which may assist in working out the boundaries (as will
> townland and other boundaries). But do check with talk-ie before leaping in.
>
> At one point maps.openstreetmap.ie [3] had a number of overlay layers sourced
> from the OSI/OSNI data, but I think these never got restored after the server
> move. I used OSNI townland boundaries to compare with OSM ones back in 2015.
>
> Jerry
>
> On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 18:42, Colin Smale <colin.sm...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone investigated if the data covering Northern Ireland which OSNI
>> make available under OGL V3, is licence-compatible with OSM in the same way
>> as the OSGB open data? I am particularly interested in admin boundaries,
>> e.g.
>> http://osni-spatial-ni.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/a55726475f1b460c927d1816ffde6c72_2
>>

>> The website says: "Open Government Data Licence applies.    Land & Property
>> Services (LPS) has made a number of Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland(R)
>> (OSNI(R)) branded datasets available free of charge under the terms of the
>> current Open Government Licence (OGL). These datasets - which include raster
>> and vector mapping, boundary, gazetteer, height, street and townland
>> products - are available for download.  Each dataset is clearly marked with
>> the OGL symbol. The OGL allows you to: copy, distribute and transmit the
>> data; adapt the data; and exploit the data commercially, whether by
>> sub-licensing it, combining it with other data, or including it in your own
>> product or application. You are therefore able to use the LPS datasets in
>> any way and for any purpose. We simply ask that you acknowledge the
>> copyright and the source of the data by including the following attribution
>> statement: Contains LPS Intellectual Property (c) Crown copyright and
>> database right (year)  This information is
licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence
(http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3). You
must also: include the same acknowledgement requirement in any sub-licences of
the data that you grant, and a requirement that any further sub-licences do the
same; ensure that you do not use the data in a way that suggests LPS endorses
you or your use of the data; and make sure you do not misrepresent the data or
its source. N.B. Any dataset that does not expressly state that it has been
released under OGL will require a licence from LPS and the appropriate licence
fee will be applied."

Links:
------
[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/392283077