On 04/10/2019 01:52, nd...@redhazel.co.uk wrote:

Besides, the main reason for importing these data is that we can get _all_ postcodes in the database. This gives users confidence that when they search for a postcode they will reliably get a result they are looking for. This is not possible when merging postcodes with buildings simply because we still have only a small fraction of buildings in the database.

Searching for GB postcodes on the OSM site works already. The search system, Nominatim, has extra datasets loaded to improve the search and one of them already is Codepoint Open. If you search for postcode that is not currently in a GB address (it's not yet been added possibly because the buildings it describes have not been created in the database yet) search still find it and centres the map on the imaginary postcode centroid. So to make searching work we do not need to import imaginary postcode centroids to the main OSM database.

--
cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)