Hi,

After investigating two reports of OSRM routing failures around North Tyneside, the common factor I can see is barrier=kerb tags added to highway=crossing nodes intersecting highway=tertiary and highway=cycleway/ footway ways.

Here are links to the two map note reports:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/2030228
https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/2030238

To investigate the report, I entered the postcodes given into the default routing engine on the OSM map and found VERY odd routes going 10x the direct distance, and avoiding very obvious direct paths:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=fossgis_osrm_car&route=55.0659%2C-1.4624%3B55.0511%2C-1.4530#map=14/55.0590/-1.4747&layers=N

Personally, I'd not noticed the OSM main map had added several routing engines as I use separate tools, so have no idea how often the routing engines update their database extracts but expect the issue to be visible for a few days.

After two examples of bad routing, I checked the paths between the geolocated points given and found one common factor - barrier=kerb on a road / footway highway=crossing node.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4341572135

My hunch is the router isn't familiar with barrier=kerb, so is assuming BOTH ways are blocked and using an alternate path.

It is debatable how a routing engine should interpret highway=kerb tag, however my own thought is the kerb is not on the highway=secondary - it is on the highway=footway.

If anywhere, there should be two nodes on the footway separate from the secondary to give information to wheelchair accessibility routers.

As an experiment, I've removed the barrier=kerb from a highway-crossing and added two nodes on the cycleway, with the additional explicit tags of:

  barrier=kerb
  bicycle=yes
  foot=yes
  wheelchair=limited
  kerb=lowered
  tactile_paving=yes
  horse=yes  (ISTR UK law says cycle = horse!)

This is rather cumbersome compared with one barrier=kerb tag on the node, but logic suggests this is more consistent with reality and current routers.

Has any one used the barrier=kerb tag, or is familiar with the inner workings of OSRM or similar engines please?

Thanks,

James
--
James Derrick