On 31/01/2020 11:41, Martin Wynne wrote:

But the places I was asking about can't really be called laybys, or car parks. Somewhere that a car could be left for a few hours out of anyone's way on an otherwise long narrow lane:

 https://goo.gl/maps/nSTAbnE4nYXTBAz59

That's a really good example, actually - it's a grassy area by a hedge that isn't blocking anywhere, but which might not be appropriate depending on the vehicle or the weather.  The vehicle parked in the picture is probably a 4WD with reasonable ground clearance.

What I normally ask myself is "would I suggest to anyone else that they park here, regardless of weather, season or vehicle"? If the answer is "yes" I'll map it as amenity=parking + some appropriate other tags (perhaps with a surface tag if it's mud or gravel).  If not I'll probably not add it to OSM at all but leave it as personal marker that I might use myself if necessary.

Best Regards,

Andy