On 07/02/2020 10:55, Jez Nicholson wrote:
Personally, I interpret the coverage of Talk-GB and OSMUK to be the same, i.e. Northern Ireland is officially under OSMUK, but for practical reasons mappers may want to interact with OSMIE....and the same for Talk-GB + Talk-IE.

I think that part of the reason historically was that older out-of-copyright maps (and things like townlands) were common across the island of Ireland.

Even if it was "overclaiming" I don't think that there would be a particular problem with talk-gb also being included on the list for NI at https://openstreetmap.community/ - the worst that could happen would be that someone would get an answer to their question (which might also include a mention of various IE resources).  I recently expanded the "East Midlands" coverage north a bit to reflect occasional meet-ups in Sheffield and the fact that we've had people attending from further north again.

This could make the situation of gb geojson simpler. Do you know where they've defined gb? I can't see it.

It uses the iD editor's country coder.  The documentation for that is at

https://github.com/ideditor/country-coder#readme

There's a list in there of what it does and what it doesn't do.

Best Regards,

Andy