Sorry for the long-delayed follow-up.

On 2020-01-01 12:43, Philip Barnes wrote:
They are certainly not post boxes, I have used amenity=vending_machine,
vending=parcel_pickup which is a combination that probably came from
asking on #osm.
For example my local one https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5978482863

Thank you. I was, finally, about to update along similar lines, and also add a couple in my immediate area, but...

https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Pna indicates the taging has a fair amount
of useage.

Indeed there are several so it would be best to follow the pattern, and I now see this is documented at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Parcel_lockers_in_the_United_Kingdom

On the way to "vending machine" I discovered there's button in iD which fills the tags. Good.

I ran a query and found there are also two nodes in the UK with amenity=parcel_pickup. These don't seem to conform to accepted practice but without further information it's probably wrong to amend them.

There is also a proposal for amenity=parcel_lockers https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Parcel_lockers_and_parcel_postbox. This has been used twice in the Glasgow area and a few times in Europe, but not as widely as the existing convention.

So I've learnt quite a bit from your (and others') response. Many thanks.

Dan