Hi Jez,

I am not a fan of using entrances for tagging POIs for three reasons:

- An entrance to a shop is not a shop.

- Multiple primary tags cause problems with consuming data (e.g. when rendering). Is the point mainly an entrance or mainly a shop? In practice, we leave this decision to a piece of software that applies a "one fits all" rule.

- It is different from more established methods of tagging POIs as separate points or buildings, so we end up with multiple tagging conventions for no obvious benefit.

My own rules are to tag POIs as separate points whenever possible, especially if they are loosely attached to a building (e.g. there are multiple businesses in the building or the building is hired). Only when the building has a single, well defined purpose (a pub, a purpose-built shop) I tag POI on the building itself.

Tagging addresses on entrances is better (entrances can be actual delivery points). But, since this still results in multiple tagging conventions and provides a temptation to add POI information to the entrance points later, I don't use that technique myself.