On 12/07/2020 12:32, Adam Snape wrote:

My main concern here is about whether we should be mapping unmarked routes at all and especially whether it is okay to import them without discussion or the explicit permission of the copyright holder.

I'd agree with that.  Generally speaking, even aside from the copyright issue, I don't believe that unsigned routes belong in OSM.  Where I've personally come across them I've not removed them (since someone thought it was valid to add in the first place) but have added "name:signed=no" to e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6366232 to allow me to filter "someone wrote a book once" routes from https://map.atownsend.org.uk .  I'd also agree with Richard's point on https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/74330916 that this is not a general bicycle route and shouldn't be tagged as such.

If the consensus here is "this does not belong in OSM" then I'd be happy to see it and other unsigned routes removed (perhaps creating something somewhere else like umap where an overlay can be made available); if we don't have permission to add it then it definitely should be removed if the CTC haven't made the data available under a suitable licence (and I'm not a lawyer, but https://www.cyclinguk.org/about-ctc/policies-procedures/ctcs-website/terms-and-conditions doesn't look like it unless someone has explicitly asked).

Incidentally, there are some edge cases - Wainright's "Coast to Coast" was originally a book but is extensively signposted at the eastern end (see https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7336319 ).  "The Inn Way to the North York Moors" https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8450999 was apparently also a book route, and I'd originally set it as "name:signed=no" but I have found one guidepost - https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/7235773122 .

Best Regards,

Andy (writing in a personal capacity*)

* I'm also a member of the DWG, and we occasionally get copyright complaints about things like this, although I'm not aware of one in this case.