Mike Baggaley wrote:

There should be no need for a tag to indicate whether a cycleway is separated from the road, as if the cycleway is part of the road it should not be tagged as highway=cycleway at all - it should be tagged as highway=(something else) + cycleway=*. The https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bicycle page in the wiki is quite clear that there is only one way to map cycle lanes (i.e. not separated from road) whereas there are two ways to map cycle tracks (separated from a road).

Agreed; a painted lane on the road should always be an attribute of the road. It's a lane by definition.

The problem arises with 'hybrid' cycle lane/track stuff, for which a discussion was started at:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2020-June/024612.html

Are these lanes or tracks? :

https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/108979/
https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/143810/
https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/143794/

My general view is that where there is such partial physical segregation, but it is part of the road, it is probably best to use cycleway=track, oneway=yes as attributes on the main highway, but the stronger the segregation, the more I would lean to using a separate highway=cycleway, not least because it's easier then to put proper metadata on it.

Martin,                     **  CycleStreets - For Cyclists, By Cyclists
Developer, CycleStreets     **  https://www.cyclestreets.net/