I don't know the area. but they look like the existing posts to me. Has the cycle path been realigned around them to provide better vision splays/ stopping room to motorists?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7730673,-1.2396435,3a,56.4y,188.18h,85.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCSZk4LPVkVJecufviv4kzw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I believe it's something to do with building regs. Existing posts have to be one of the last items to be decommissioned, usually by newly installed ones. Similar happened on one of the London CS ways, where everyone got their knickers in a twist over it.

DaveF