Hi Gruff, hi Ben,

On 16/10/2020 14:08, Gruff Owen wrote:

The ability to include an :en or :cy tag name field is really helpful for this but it's unfortunate that ultimately we have to choose a single name tag for each place name - giving the impression that one language has precedence over another.

Well, we really don't need to choose that "one language has precedence over another".  If the :cy and :en data is mapped it's available for everyone to use.  It's entirely possible, right now, to create a map using only :cy names (as Ben and Andy have pointed out, https://openstreetmap.cymru/ does exactly that already). Other maps can choose to use :en names in one area and :cy in others (see https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=9&lat=51.93&lon=-4.182 for an example of that), or hyphenate names Welsh-first or English-first, or use different colours for different languages, or, or...

The whole point of OSM is that it is more than just one map.

With that in mind, and admittedly polemicising the debate a little. If we accept the premise that the native language of Wales is Welsh and that OSM is a community mapping project where we have an opportunity to respect native communities in a way that past colonial mapmakers didn't. Could we take this as an opportunity to prioritise authentic Welsh place names where that's possible?

OpenStreetMap's approach to disputed territories tries to be neutral - see https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/images/d/d8/DisputedTerritoriesInformation.pdf .  It favours "on the ground" current usage.  The Data Working Group gets _lots_ of requests along the lines of "the official language of country X is Y, therefore all placenames in country X should be displayed at osm.org in language Y".  Where the majority of people in an area speak a different language to the majority of people in the rest of the country, it is only fair to reflect that local language in the "name" tag.  OSM should not be making decisions about which placenames are more "authentic" than others via some sort of "historical authenticity test".  Imagine trying to apply that to Kaliningrad https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1674442 (look at all the "old_name" tags there for context).  In Wales, OSM has occasionally had mappers making "forced language changes" both ways - either changing names in predominantly English-speaking areas to Welsh versions of the original English and English speakers changing original (and most common in local usage) Welsh names to English versions.

One other way to settle this would be to seek guidance from an external body. Does the Welsh Government have a position on place names that we can refer to? I notice that the Welsh Language Commissioner provides a recommended list of standardised place names for Wales which is licensed under OGL 3.0:

http://www.comisiynyddygymraeg.cymru/english/commissioner/placenames/Pages/Search.aspx <http://www.comisiynyddygymraeg.cymru/english/commissioner/placenames/Pages/Search.aspx>

Different OSM communities do this in different ways.  I believe that in Ireland name:ga is usually the "official" version, which may differ from local usage.  Sometimes that loses some local colour - in Dublin "Anglesea Road" used to be signed as "Bóthar Môn" but now in OSM it's just "Bóthar Anglesea".  See also https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/52241235 which I've heard referred to as "Dingle / An Daingean" (there's lots of politics both national and local associated with that).

All of the above is written with the big caveat that I'm new to OSM and not a Welsh language or place name expert in any way, I wouldn't go against the group decision on this and have been quite conservative with my edits so far because I know it's a huge topic to get into. Overall I think you should be congratulated for broaching the subject and trying to pin down a policy on it as it really does stir up a lot of strong sentiment in this part of the world!

As I'm sure Ben and Mapio Cymru would echo, thanks for making sure that Welsh names of places are recorded where they currently are not.  It always strikes me as a bit jarring to see English names jumping out in predominantly Welsh areas at https://map.atownsend.org.uk/ (which will use the default "name" tag if name:cy is missing in areas where it's trying to show Welsh names).

Moving on to Ben's original mail: