On 13/11/2020 09:06, Philip Barnes wrote:
Also I have been thinking of height restrictions on level crossings
where the railway is electrified.

I believe that the East Coast line has level crossings?

After many years looking out of the window travelling from NCL to EDI on the East Coast Main Line (ECML is a common abbreviation - e.g. in bridge references), I'd give a special mention to the rural level crossings which have two poles and a line of suspended bells across the track to (hopefully) alert any machinery operators that Something Bad Is About to Happen!

'got_bells_on = yes' perhaps? :-)

Sadly, I don't have specific examples, just the memory of countryside, likely either side of Berwick.

A little more seriously, several types of infrastructure have over-height detection kit - e.g. the Tyne Tunnel has broken beam detectors across the carriageway about 1km from the tunnel portal.

Look for the poles with two sets of broken beam kit abode the 30 sign in this image:
https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/LdqV481D4eAHnvBvrcgKEg

This height restriction is more complex as to add a safety cell (evacuation route) to the original Northbound circular bore, the lanes were moved off-centre. This means lane 1 has greater clearance than lane 2 - creating the regular task of replacing the signage above lane 2 when a lorry driver decides to illegally overtake! donk, donk, donk, crash...

And yes, the approach bridges are 'got_bells_on = yes':
https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/QvgXLAvET7V3xjEdX2Ir_g

The question with the TT is how to tag 5.1 m lane 1 and 4.0 m lane 2 on a single highway=trunk; lanes=2?

It's not tagged today, so adding the 5.1m to the trunk would make sense as 4.0m would give a false routing.

I'm not personally a fan of the analagous way lane tagging is used to model the A1 further north (turn:lanes=through|through|right), as it's not human readable on most renders (#include <don't tag for the renderer>).

James
--
James Derrick
    li...@jamesderrick.org, Cramlington, England