I'm with you Phil but the locked gate is on a track parallel (50 yards
perhaps) to where the bridleway should be. They're both shown on the
definitive map so that's probably a legally blocked access. I would have
thought that the farmer would have preferred me using it though than for me
to exercise my legal right to traipse through their crops as per Martin's
suggestion.

I'd read back through previous discussions on here where the OSM path does
not follow the definitive map and was surprised to read that what you find
on the ground, in person, is what should be documented as opposed to what's
actually legal. I know of a few instances where the established path runs
around field boundaries or nearby tracks and OSM is at odds to the
definitive map.

I'll aim to head back out there and have a more concerted look when I can.

Mark