On 2020-12-20 14:39, ipswichmap...@tutanota.com wrote:

> It's not just administrative boundaries. If you mark points with
> "place=suburb", "place=town" etc. that will also be used.
>
> In this case it is clearly difficult to tell which tags to use, so I would
> just not use them and let nominatim figure out. Unless someone else a clearer
> solution, that is.

First of all - are you sure that an address in OSM (addr:* tags) is
intended to represent a postal address, and not something else like a
location?

If it IS supposed to be a postal address, then its data model needs to
be suitable, which in the UK means it can somehow accommodate all the
fields that can occur in a valid postal address. Fill your boots here:
https://ideal-postcodes.co.uk/documentation/paf-data

Nominatim is known to produce bad output for UK addresses (at least, on
the OSM website), because it is based around compromises and assumptions
that fits some countries better than others. It ignores some useful
polygons, "invents" towns by proximity and gets the priority wrong
(place=village is higher than admin_level=10) It includes
districts/boroughs and administrative counties, none of which are
relevant for postal addresses.