Well, there has been a lot of discussion about this, and no real solution.
Japanese are putting "their (english)" names, just so tourists could read
their map (bad solution IMO). We could make a script that has a list of
bilingual towns (or we could invent a tag, something like
multilingual=hr;it), and that script would put "name:hr / name:it" into the
"name" tag. But until then, I think this is the best solution.

Janko