For info, to be assessed together with other effrots on this realm
Best

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Talbot Brooks <tbro...@deltastate.edu>
Date: Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 7:57 AM
Subject: [CrisisMappers] Haiti terrain analysis for potential IDP camp
flooding
To: "crisismapp...@googlegroups.com" <crisismapp...@googlegroups.com>

 All;

Apologies in advance if this duplicates some efforts or prior posts - too
much to keep track of right now (Haiti, Chile, classes, and paying projects
- argh!!!).  We played with a new product today that may be of interest to
the groups working in Haiti and are concerned about the coming rains and IDP
camp locations.  We grabbed the 1-m RIT/World Bank DEM and derived 1-m, 5-m,
and 10-m contours.  We also used the DEM to generate a hillshade.  The
hillshade was layed in as the base layer and the GeoEye imagery layed on top
with partial transparency - this gives a 3-D effect to the imagery.  We
stacked on top of that the contour, OSM, and MINUSTAH data to round things
out.  Have a look at let us know what you think.

See the IDP_18QYF84865184.pdf file (please save locally before opening -
18MB) at:

http://mississippi.deltastate.edu/data/haiti/Map_Products/

These are also fairly easy to use some common-sense analysis with - count
the number of grid squares up slope, pay attention to slope/contour line
density, look at the vegetation in the photo, and one can get a decent feel
for runoff potential into camps.

Apologies for it not being a TerraGo GeoPDF and just a standard GeoPDF - we
lose compression and some of the detail when we go this route - TerraGo
choked on this thing and we're puzzling through it now.

Additional comments are welcomed, and if there's interest, I can put my
advanced class on making some more if someone from UN OCHA or similar wants
to help with prioritizing requests.

Thanks,

  Talbot Brooks, Director
Delta State University GIT
Box 3325
Cleveland, MS 38733
USNG (NAD 83):
15SYT09823640<http://nmviewogc.cr.usgs.gov/Run.htm?BBOX=-90.74485,33.74149,-90.7262,33.7513&CLASSIDSON=6%7C20&LAYERSON=11914%7C9942%7C10362%7C9880%7C10361%7C10360%7C23115%7C1695&LAYERSOFF=17260%7C16837%7C1652%7C11777%7C16788%7C16787%7C16962%7C16964%7C22599>
O: 662-846-4520
C: 662-588-8649
F: 662-846-4099
http://gis.deltastate.edu

<http://mississippi.deltastate.eduand/>
CONFIDENTIALITY. This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error,
(Please note Delta State University's email system blocks all email with
.zip attachments)

Nicolas Chavent
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Haiti