Hi Brian,

With regards to the NHA area's, I would suggest using a boundary tag. See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dprotected_area

Try to steer clear of using "designation" as a tag where possible

For protected structures, I would suggest using something along the lines
of
building=yes (or house/church etc if you can be more specific)
historic=yes
protected_structure=yes
rps or nia_ref=123abc

This should meet the requirements of most use cases

The Corine Import was parked, the exact reasons why someone else can
elaborate as I'm not familiar with it, but I do know there is a rendering
of the import available at
http://maps.openstreetmap.ie/corineimport.html?zoom=12&lat=53.00523&lon=-6.17515&layers=0000BFFFFT

Hope this has been of help

Dave