Hi, maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, but why try and reinvent
the wheel when you can just compare how the land or water is already
interpreted: e.g. look at the EPA map http://gis.epa.ie/Envision /
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Corine_Land_Cover and see what is land,
transitional waterbody, coastline. You don't have to copy the map, just
compare if for reference points, no?

Killian Driscoll
Banting Postdoctoral Fellow
Département d'anthropologie