Hi,

the EEZ boundary is a maritime exclusive economic zone. It is mapped
as relation 4121287 in OSM:
http://localhost:8111/import?url=http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/relation/4121287/full
(using a josm/mercator remote-control link instead of a website link
because the website is likely to timeout).

There are a few problems with it:
* At ~4000 members, it is enormous. JOSM validator takes over a minute
to check it on my machine. It's the biggest relation we have, even the
four regions are about half the size.
* It only has a fraction of the islands it ought to have, and most of
those are mistakenly tagged as outer instead of inner.
* It keeps breaking (non-closed ways), and the more members a MP has
the more laborious it is to fix it.

What should we do with it ? Either...

a) Add all the missing islands, fix their roles
  pros: that's the best theoretical way to map a maritime area
  cons: will exacerbate all the size-related problems

b) Keep as-is but drop all the islands
  pros: reduces the size strain a bit
  cons: not a true maritime area anymore. Boat navigation will surely
not get fooled by this, but other tasks like for example area
calculation gets more complicated.

c) Same as b) but follow the ROI-NI border instead of the coastline
  Same pros and cons as b), only stronger

d) Only keep the maritime ways
  pros: simplest version
  cons: not much can be done with it appart from rendering (for
example a bot can't determine wether it is navigating within the EEZ
anymore)

e) Use multilinestring relations to simplify the geometries
  pros: great reduction in member count. Same technique could be used
to simplify the other county and region MPs
  cons: not all tools support multilinestring relations (what about
nominatim ?), they are used in France for example but are not yet a
standard osm feature. Islands still need to be supported, as in a).

I'm leaning towards solution c), but could be convinced of either.
What do ye think ?