On 2 March 2017 7:07:21 PM GMT+00:00, Peter Mooney <petermoone...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>At the Dept of Computer Science here in Maynooth University I currently
>have two undergraduate students working with me on an internship
>project.
>One of the key tasks in this project is to update existing data and
>contribute new data to OpenStreetMap in the University. Our focus is
>mapping the changes around the two campus from local knowledge and
>on-the-ground survey. So we are mapping everything from our new
>buildings
>to litter bins, trees, lampposts and sundials! In summary Barry [
>http://hdyc.neis-one.org/?barry23] and Stephen [
>http://hdyc.neis-one.org/?Stephen_Fay] have really embraced the
>challenge.

As it happens, I've done a bit of geometry cleanups via Bing/Mapillary around
the Maynooth campuses recently.

While there's clearly a lot of great local knowledge in the current data, the
geometries are messy: areas that should be unglued from highways, overlaping
landuses (whether that's a error depends on the landuse type), too many closed
ways at one spot that should be converted to MP relations, bad alignment and
orthogonalisation, and outdated data (bing is from 2011, so I trust any object
that's newer, but most are from 2009).

I'll do more fixup work in the coming days (roughly going from east to west),
but the more you can fix as you go along adding local knowledge, the better :)

--
Vdp
Sent from a phone.