Some differences  will be resolved by adjusting to existing boundaries
(townland/ed) where present already (this is what I mean by snipping and
snupping) . I can always upload the 6000 node version of the boundary
instead of the 1000 node variant that is there now. I have kept that in
case.

However the new Cork City Boundary is not comprised of

1.       Whole EDs (these are partitioned) and/or

2.       Whole Townlands if an ED is partitioned.

This is the complex mapping bit _once the community is happy we can use the
open data in the first place. _

If we look at the SW corner of the new boundary we see that the Urban bits
of Ovens and Ballincollig are inside the new boundary. The existing EDs of
Ovens and Ballincollig will be partitioned into an urban and a rural part. I
have enquired around some and the ‘old’ ED (part of ) will remain within the
county while new ‘urban’ EDs will be created inside the new city boundary. I
don’t know whether a tiny Ovens (Urban ED) will be created or whether Ovens
and Ballincolling (Urban) will be a single ED inside the city. The ‘rural’
portion retains the current LAU2 code.

Eurostat has not been notified of any change or of the proposed 5 digit LAU2
codes for the new creations  as of now. I have a source I can call anyway.
For now it appears that EDs are undefined.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/nuts/local-administrative-units