Brian,

I looked at
https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?osmtype=R&osmid=10993573&class=boundary
Normally this allows me to understand why a certain admin hierarchy is
returned. In this case, I do not understand why the distance is 0.1746
for the Athlone Municipal District.
It seems to be the admin level 8 that is closest to the centre of
Billy Parish. But as it is a relation, it should be returned when the
object is outside. (perhaps the relation was not properly closed at
the time Nominatim imported the data?)

If none here replies you should reach out to the Nominatim maintainers.

regards

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 12:40 PM Brian Hollinshead