Hello,

> We had a heritage mapping at Fort Cochin
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=9.96544&lon=76.24292&zoom=17
> Most of the POI's which we tagged as historic: memorial, ruins.
>
> How do we make the renderer know about these?

First, you cannot see them in Mapnik if it is not rendered yet. I have the
same issue in Hampi where I tagged a lot of POIs one year ago and just a few
are rendered. Just edit here to see it:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=15.31745&lon=76.47182&zoom=16&layers=B000FTF.
But remember to tag for the field, and not for the renderer. If you really
want these POIs to be rendered, contact the team involved in Mapnik or
Osmarender and discuss that point.

Some remarks about your mapping in Fort Cochin:
- building=yes is valid only for areas (closed ways), not for nodes. You can
know it from the icon of the building tag at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features). Hence, your cannot use it
for POIs. In this case, if you don't know the exact shape of the building,
draw an approximate closed shape, use "building=yes" (or building=castle,
building=convent, building=factory, etc... to be more accurate) and add the
tag "fixme=shape". Then they will appear on the map.
Have a look at:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:building
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Building
- using only name="AnyName" will not be rendered, another tag is missing to
identify the POI (landuse=residential, historic=*, or whatever).
- for ruins, there is also a new proposal, I find relevant. When you adhere
to a new proposal you can also start using it. Usually, the usage make it
official after some time. The idea is to use "building=castle" and
"ruins=yes", to identify the type of ruins.
Have a look at:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:historic%3Druins
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/ruins.

You can also look at Tagwatch for some tags used although not discussed:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tagwatch

Bye,
Guillaume