On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Paramvir Singh <paramvi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How was the workshop? Turnout?
> We need more mappers in India...

Hi Paramvir, we had around  16 participants mostly from Tata Institute of
Fundamental Research and Tata Institute of Social Sciences. A whole range
of topics was covered which has been documented here:
https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/osm

We experimented with micromapping of trees on campus using field papers and
it was quite successful:
http://fieldpapers.org/atlas.php?id=ksw2wgqm#18/19.04235/72.92766

There was also a demo of how to get OSM data into QGIS to very quickly make
custom maps.

A little background behind the workshop. The Homi Bhabha Centre for Science
Education and TISS are involved creating a pilot program to introduce
digital literacy in colleges in he country [http://nussd.tiss.edu/]. This
workshop was an experiment to check if we will be able to introduce a
mapping course using OSM in a context of limited technical resources in
smaller towns and villages.

This was a followup to an experiment we conducted with college students in
a rural town called Talasari (100km north of Mumbai), where students who
have never used maps or seen satellite imagery were asked to map their town
using field papers. Here is a sample scan from one such student:
http://fieldpapers.org/snapshot.php?id=ct6bd9b3#17/20.12548/72.91690

We have also been collecting potential issues with all the tools and hope
to get them fixed/discussed. There might be a lot of mappers from India
pretty soon :)