I continue to oppose the proposal at https://wiki.openstreetmap.
org/wiki/India:Places because it can lead to classifications that are
significantly different from common usage. Hence it will make the map less
useful to users. For instance the proposal that the classification of
'village' should be used only for panchayats will often promote a smaller
settlement and hide larger settlements. There will also be a disparity in
usage across the country.

There is an adequate classification at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:place which accords largely with
common usage.

The government classification could however be attached to the node (or the
boundary if available) with a specific key that reflects its administration
status - e.g. GOIClassification=xxx.