There are things many to think about.

Firstly OSM data is public .. if you make changes and save them to OSM they will be public - that is part of the conditions of OSM.

You could make changes and save them to your local storage - not to OSM .. that would be 'private'. However any updates to the OSM data would then be harder to manage as an update to your private storage. It maybe possible to update the data .. but I have not played with it.

Easiest would be a separate file that 'adds' to the OSM data like an overlay - this means you can get the latest OSM data whenever you want and add it with your file to produce the new 'map'.

In any event you will need to handle the .osm file which is XML format. The JOSM editor will do the editing/updating and saving at least for small areas... but all in .osm/XML.

You then have the map you want ... in .osm/XML format. What you want to do with it after that is then your problem. Once you have your product it must include the OSM copyright statement - assuming it includes OSM data.