Hi Friends,

Looking for folks who would be interested in organizing a mapping
party in Pune, for areas in Maharashtra (particularly off-metro) that
need mapping.

Intended dates : A Pilot in late October with smaller crowd, followed
by a main event on a weekend in November. Flexible.

If you're interested in making this happen then please write back.

Disclaimer : I'm myself not expert at this, haven't used JOSM yet,
done only few contributions on OSM. But I can help with event
organizing, have a few venues in mind.

Cross-posting on OSM India and Datameet mailing lists as there's
common interests, hope that's ok.

Some ideas that we can work on:

1. Involve students hailing from different parts of the state and
studying in Pune : they can offer local knowledge. Pair them with
trained participants if they can't add to OSM themselves.

2. Research which places in the state need mapping. Check out some
analysis tools.

3. Connect with NGOs having boots on the ground or data that can be
valuable to add. (like school, health centre, panchayat, bus stand
locations)

4. Standardize on tags (key=value pairs) to be used for various common
additions.

Related links:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapping_Weekend_Howto
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Micro_Mapping_Party