Hey all,

Hope everyone is doing well in these crazy times.

Around 5 years ago, we needed some hosting to run openstreetmap.in and
tasks.openstreetmap.in - I had spare resources on a server hosted with
hetzner.de and in the spirit of getting things up, we hosted things here
"until we found a more permanent home". As often goes with things, it's
been 5 years and things continue to be hosted on this box that Sajjad and I
have been paying for and maintaining.

It's been a privilege to have been able to contribute to the community and
it makes me happy that people have found these resources useful (and
complain when they go down :)) - unfortunately, it is time for us to retire
the current server, and this is likely a good time to setup some
infrastructure that is community-owned and managed.

We plan to shutdown the current server at the latest on December 31st,
2020, so it would be great to do this move before then.

 - For openstreetmap.in, this is currently just a static site and the plan
is to move to Github pages as per
https://github.com/osm-in/openstreetmap.in/issues/36#issuecomment-704711530
.
 - For tasks.openstreetmap.in, we need somewhere that is able to run a
Flask application.

My recommendation would be to get VPS hosting with Digital Ocean or any
other provider that seems reasonable (and ideally can be paid for in INR),
and me and Sajjad would be very happy to work with anyone who is able to
volunteer some time to setup and manage the new instance. Would be super
happy if there's any other ideas for hosting this or folks volunteering :)

With a low-cost VPS + managed database, I'd imagine our costs would be ~Rs
1,000 / month. If we can figure something cheaper, that's great. If it
takes some time to figure out a way to get community contributions to pay
to continue running this, I'm happy to pay for initial setup to get this
move going if someone is able to own the process of moving, configuring the
new server, etc.

Thanks everyone who's reported issues over the years and helped to keep
these resources (mostly) online. Looking forward to helping with this move
and a long and prosperous future for the OSM-in community :-) .

Cheers,
Sanjay