On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:43, Davíð Jakobsson <rimmugy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is at least one source of elevation data which will work with
> kosmos which you can find here.
>
> http://www3.hi.is/~dag6/OSM/Contours/

Can you post some renderings of that data with Kosmos? It's
troublesome to run it on Linux and I've never seen what this GTOPO30
data looks like when rendered over Iceland.

> Other sources(non-free) for elevation data are the ones at
> viewfinderparanormas and the new ASTER GDEM. Seems though that the ASTER
> GDEM service is suspended for now.
>
> http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html#nat

Note that these are made from the LMÍ 1944 maps.

> http://www.gdem.aster.ersdac.or.jp/suspended.jsp

These are also non-free-ish but ASTER doesn't care if it's used for
projects like OSM.

You can get that data now elsewhere I believe, at least it's being
used for Haiti renderings by some people.

> I have been trying to get those two to work with kosmos but without luck
> so I would welcome the discussion.

It would IMO be more interesting to convert it to .osm, then you could
use it with mapnik, import it into PostGIS and generate Garmin maps
from it.

Kosmos is only a lightweight renderer which won't help with production
use cases like that.

> Just to clarify, I would like to point out that even though this data is
> non-free it is my understanding that no laws will be broken by making
> instruction available of how to use this data for local rendering. I
> would also welcome any discussion about this.

There's nothing illegal about posting instructions.

> The reason for me to push this is to make hiking maps of Iceland which
> are quite useless without a high-resolution elevation set.

Note that if you want hiking maps on your Garmin device you can use
osm maps + 1944 contour lines from the ourfootprints.de map, this is
the setup I use when I'm in Iceland.